Our goal is to give you the healthy, straight, beautiful smile that you've always wanted. We understand that choosing to receive orthodontic care is a big decision, and we respect your reasons for wanting to improve the way you look and feel. Our practice will work with you every step of the way to make sure that your orthodontic care is as rewarding as possible. We utilize the latest diagnostic and treatment technology, offering a variety of safe and gentle treatment options to give you the customized, individual care you deserve.
Every smile starts with an initial consultation!
Your initial consultation will give you the opportunity to meet with Dr. Carroll or Dr. Sutton and our team, and to learn more about orthodontics, receive a complete initial exam, and find out which treatment options will best meet your needs. During your initial consultation, we will:
- Review your dental and medical history
- Take photographs of your teeth and two x-rays
- Note about x-rays: An orthodontist needs both a panoramic and a lateral cephalometric x-ray for a comprehensive evaluation. We are very mindful of preventing excess radiation exposure to our patients. This why we use the latest in digital imaging which uses the lowest levels of radiation possible while providing superior diagnostic quality. These two x-rays expose patients to the equivalent of the background radiation exposure experienced during a cross-country commercial airline flight. If you have a recent panoramic x-ray from your dentist, we are happy to use it.
- Dr. Carroll or Dr. Sutton will discuss your concerns for you or your child, perform an oral exam, create a customized treatment plan, discuss any orthodontic treatment needs using the photos and x-rays, and then answer any questions you may have regarding you or your child’s orthodontic treatment.
- If orthodontic treatment is not recommended at this time (common with younger children), the doctor will discuss what you can expect for your child in the future. Your child can then be set up on a re-evaluation schedule so that the doctor can monitor your child’s dental and facial growth and development to order to ensure optimal treatment timing.
- Discuss all financial information, insurance options, and payment plans
Our team will be glad to answer any questions you may have, and we will provide all of the information that you need to determine which treatment is right for you. Please contact our office to schedule your initial consultation.
What happens after the initial consultation?
You're one step closer to achieving the smile you've always wanted! After your initial consultation, the next step is to take impressions of your teeth. These impressions only take a few minutes and can usually be done immediately following your consultation if you wish. The impressions are used by Dr. Carroll and Dr. Sutton to fabricate the set-up for your custom braces or they are scanned and digitized to be used by the doctor to create your custom Invisalign treatment plan.
At the next appointment your braces will be placed or you will be fitted with your first set of clear aligners. We will then review oral and appliance care instructions with you. This appointment generally takes 30 to 45 minutes.
Visiting the orthodontist about every four to twelve weeks is an important part of your orthodontic treatment. We will work with you to make sure that your appointments are as convenient as possible. When scheduling appointments, please let us know what days and times work best for you. When appointments are made you will receive an email and/or text confirmation that can be added in to your email or smart phone calendar. You will also receive a reminder email and/or text two days prior to your appointment.
We understand that “life happens”! If you're running late or need to reschedule, please let us know and we will do everything we can to accommodate you. When you're ready to schedule your first appointment, contact our practice and our friendly scheduling coordinator will assist you. We're looking forward to working with you to create a beautiful life-long smile.
Visiting the dentist during orthodontic treatment
It is very important that you continue to visit your family dentist at least once every six months, especially during your orthodontic treatment, for teeth cleanings and routine dental checkups. If extra dental care is needed, we will be happy to coordinate with your family dentist to make sure that you are receiving the best care possible.